Technical Sessions schedule
Monday April 26, 2021 at 10:00 am
Jeff Folden, PE, DBIA
I-495 & I-270 P3 Office
Maryland Dept. of Transportation
State Highway Administration
Tuesday April 27, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Patricia Hendren, Ph.D.
Eastern Transportation Coalition
Technical Workshop – TSMO
Wednesday April 28, 2021 from 8:30 am to 10:00 am
There is no additional fee to attend the workshop.
TSMO is a set of multimodal transportation strategies that maximize the efficiency, safety, and utility of existing and planned transportation services and assets.
The workshop will explore the application of TSMO through the following core topics:
- Policy / Business Processes
- Systems and Technology
- Data & Analysis
- Education & Outreach
The workshop will include the following activities:
- Previous TSMO experiences and challenges from member states in the Mid-Colonial District (TBA)
- Participants will be provided a TSMO problem statement to be discussed in breakout groups on how to resolve the problem statement. A unique problem will be provided to each breakout group.
- Presentation and discussion of each group’s resolution with interactive discussion to enhance the perspective of the resolution.
At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the application of core TSMO topics in real-world scenarios.
- Identify the similarities and differences between each state’s strategic implementation of TSMO.
- Develop solutions that connect assets and services to achieve overarching TSMO goals.
- Understand the benefits and challenges of managing and coordinating assets and services as part of a master plan.
We look forward to your participation in this year’s MCDITE TSMO Workshop scheduled for Wednesday 4/28 at 8:30 am. During the workshop you will be randomly assigned to a breakout session to solve a TSMO problem. Below you will find the problem statements involved in Wednesday’s breakout group activity. You will be asked to collaborate with your group to address one of these. Read them over and be ready to bring ideas to the discussion.
Policy / Business Processes
• Staffing assignments across a variety of interdependent transportation organizations are broad and personnel roles do not match up with needed emergency functions.
o Goal: Develop key staff roles and responsibilities
Education & Outreach
• News and guidance from the authorities are changing rapidly during this emergency crisis, which is causing anxiety. Staff and the public would benefit from improved communication.
o Goal: Develop a communications plan that will allow organization to stay informed and thrive.
PS3 – Systems and Technology
• The typical office and TMC routine is no longer possible. Consultants and staff now require remote devices and access, which were previously restricted. Without them typical TSMO tasks cannot be performed.
o Goal: Develop a resource deployment plan to provide staff and consultants with the tools necessary to conduct business
TMC Operations Manager
Washington, DC DOT
Associate Director of Transportation Operations and Safety
Maryland DOT SHA
TMC Operations Division Chief
Salvatore (Sal) Cowan
New Jersey DOT
Senior Director of Transportation Mobility
Chief of TSMO Arterials and Planning
West Virginia DOT